Saturday, November 1, 2008

NaNoWriMo 2008 - Day One...



(Image is the symbol of the SSWD, created by me...)
Tiriak woke with a start.
So begins my latest NaNo novel. Not as impressive as I tend to want my first lines to be, but I had to start somewhere. I sat there in the IHOP, at a table with about ten other NaNovelists and realized that although I had a pretty good idea about where I wanted my story to go, I was nowhere near deciding where to begin. Should I begin with the vision that my MC Tiriak has on his coming-of-age vision quest? Or should I begin earlier, in his childhood with a little bit of character development? Should I begin with some background on the antagonists the Soul-Stealing Weasels of Despair? Or should I shoot right to the action and fill in the rest as flashbacks?
I decided that the vision quest is really where the story begins, so I will start there but that is no guarantee that I won't change my mind later. That of course is the beauty of NaNoWriMo: I can just write what comes into my head and then go back and fill in the blanks later.
For November anyway, only the wordcount matters. After one day, I am at 3,352 words. Not a bad beginning!
Happy Novelling!
Saturday November 1, 2008 - 10:40pm (EDT)
© 2008 Tyler Willson. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment